English is a universal language spoken by the maximum number of people on the planet. Its roots can be traced back to ancient West Germanic language and are coined from the word Angles, an old race of Germanic people who settled many many years ago in Great Britain.
Today English is the official language in more than half of the world’s population and is the official language in most of the world’s developed nations. Here are a few tips to get a hold of your English skills.
Here are Proven Tips for Improving Your English
1. Speak fearlessly. Even if you commit a mistake, never be ashamed of it because no one is fluent at the initial stage. Practice brings perfection.
2. Increase your reading time. Read more and more books, newspapers, and periodicals. Reading helps you to learn more English words, which ultimately improves your vocabulary.
3. Listen to English TV programs. What you listen to, understand it, and speak those words loudly. It enhances your speaking skills. It will help you to understand the correct pronunciation of words.
4. Practice English to the fullest extent. Be passionate to learn more and more words daily. Find an English speaking friend or partner for the practice purpose. It makes you confident.
5. Try to speak in public. Even amongst friends and family circles, talk in English. Give answers to their conversation through English words. A little short discussion among the public eliminates your hesitation.
6. Take note of all the new words you learn. Frame a sentence with those words and use them in daily life. It is one of the best methods to learn English writing and speaking.
7. Be committed to complete at least one lesson every day. Never make the mistake of capturing much knowledge at once. Understand everything slowly in an exact form.
8. Memorize essential words. After practicing for a few days, you will never forget these words. Use your favorite subjects or things to remember. Then, you’ll never forget again.
9. Study for a fixed time, at least for two hours a day. It keeps you energized and focused.
10. Use examples to remember. It will be easier to keep things in your mind.
11. Sit for an occasional test or take a trial of yourself to judge your English capabilities. The test helps you to evaluate your weak points. You will also know your strong side that will act as fuel.
12. Create long-term and medium-term goals. By achieving the short or medium goal will motivate a learner to achieve the long term goal. It also generates less burden on a person.
13. Try to visualize what works best for you and how to learn. Make your learning strategy that is a perfect fit to capture more knowledge in an effortless manner.
14. Take help from others. No matter, it is about reading, writing, or speaking. Improvement can’t be made without knowing your mistakes.
15. Review your works regularly. Always try to figure out how you can bring more efficiency. Ask the person who is better at English than you.
16. Understand the general meaning of any word first. Learning words in the simplest manner escalates your interest. It will be easy to learn by heart.
17. Learn everywhere. Use English wherever you can, think, read, and write. Observations are the best tool to learn something new.
18. Buy a genuinely good English grammar book with general examples. Make sure the books contain all the relevant things to learn English. Complicated terms always lead to confusion.
19. Stay positive to learn the language. Make a healthy plan, use different methods, and assign a particular deadline to you.
20. Listen to the Programmers of BBC. It would be tricky initially, but once it becomes a habit, it will be enjoyable to learn the process.
21. Get hold of English learner’s DVDs. Learning English by hearing is considered one of the best methods to adopt at a fast pace.
22. Try to get the most exposure. Don’t be lazy. Never shy but always excites you. Find the most enjoyable tricks to expand your knowledge.
23. Download the best apps for learning English. If you don’t have a friend, then install the speaking app to do the practice. Learn every day, everywhere, and every time.
24. Record your speeches in English and listen to them later. It will help you to check your pronunciation. Improve accordingly. Ask a friend or mentor for the correct pronunciation.
25. Write and learn new sentences, words, and repeats. It is the best technique to improve your English writing skills as well as speaking skills.
26. Read the plays of Shakespeare, Bernard Shaw, and other great authors. A novel has a conversation, which we can use in our daily life.
27. Listen to English music by John Denver, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, etc. Learning English through our favorite songs helps to remind you quickly.
28. Make a habit of learning at least ten new words every day—short frame sentences and conversant with friends or family.
29. Use English proofreading applications or software. It will be the best mentor for detecting errors, misspellings, vocabulary, and punctuation. You can also get the correct knowledge of sentence structure through such editing tools.
30. Learn English through a favorite novel or comic that maintains your reading interest. It increases the thirst for reading and influences you to give more time to read automatically.
31. Read about 20 to 30 minutes in a day. Make it a habit. Maintain the Grasp on the English fluency reading method.
32. Keep a diary and note new words. Bring this notebook wherever you go. Listen to people’s conversations and observe them. Note it down and apply the same in your own life.
33. Never try to learn Grammar at first. Nobody can learn English by knowing Grammar. Listening, speaking and writing are the three most vital tools to hold a grasp on the language.
34. Do language swapping. Use local language to swap during the conversation with a friend. It will boost your public speaking confidence and eliminate shyness.
35. Learn through mistakes and rectify them. Remember those errors later. Improve it.
36. Learn from social media. Read English status there. Understand the sentence structure of social posts. The short status will guide you to know how to say much in a few words.
37. Break difficult words into parts. Practice it to write, then pronounce it. Repeat it until you learn. It helps you to grasp quickly. It also retains in your mind for an extensive time.
38. Write Regularly. An email, essay, or social media post, whatever you like. Try to create and ask views of others.
39. Chat more. Despite using phone calls, chat with friends or family in English. If you have no one, then download chat apps. Conversant with robots. Focus on spelling, sentence, and punctuation.
40. Practice with strangers. Make a call to English call centers. Try to make conversation in English. At least, it would break your shyness.
41. Be dedicated. Motivate yourself daily. Set a short-term goal and commit to them. Reward yourself for achieving those targets.
42. Understand Grammar logically. Don’t try to memorize grammar rules. Increase your stock of learning in idioms, phrases, and proverbs.
43. Start thinking in English. Take a few seconds, think in English, then speak. Be your speaking partner. Practice the whole day by talking to yourself.
44. Never try to translate. Translation always brings confusion. It makes the learning process slow and complicated.
45. Follow a cooking recipe in English. Everyone loves food, so read the cooking recipe on the internet or through a book and learn through new words through delicious recipes.
46. Don’t be scared to speak. Find a person who is less knowledgeable than you. Start practice with him/her. English is not a quick fix choice.
47. Watch English news. Understanding doesn’t matter. Spend at least 15 minutes daily to watch. Hearing is the best English learning technique.
48. Join English internet forums. Read online discussions or comments carefully. Participate in exciting conversations. Don’t think about making mistakes but do them fearlessly.
49. Maintain consistency in learning. Never skip days. Pressurize yourself positively to increase your learning ability.
50. Take English speaking classes. It will give a chance to meet people of the same vision. Group discussions, 5-minute speaking tests, writing task, and funny English games are the several learning tools that will give the best result.
51. Participates in English debates. Questions and answers from the opposite person will bring improvement.
52. Don’t try to be a Britisher or an American. Never copy their accent. Speak like a regular native as you make conversation in your regional language.
53. Be yourself-critic. Check your own words. Correct them and practice.
54. Use tongue twisters. Practice with a friend or working at home or even in free time. It is funny and enjoyable.
55. Read out loud. When you speak English texts aloud, you are more likely to memorize.
56. Listen through English podcasts. Listen and speak. Write the summary of the podcast in your own words. Explain that summary with friends in English.
57. Listen to English songs and repeat the lyrics. Note those lyrics in a notebook. Use headphones for better clearance.
58. Speak to the customer support helpline. Understand how they talk on the phone. Try to make conversation with them. It will break your shyness.
59. Read, but do not become too reliant on grammar books and dictionaries. It makes you confused. Better to use it less.
60. Find an easy way of learning. Read stories, comics, novels. Watch English movies, listen to songs or serials, whatever you like.
61. Use those study materials only that match your level. Never go for challenging topics at first. Move with the flow.
62. Always use our intuition and perception. Speak what your mind tells you to speak. Never hesitate.
63. Keep a vigil on the verb, tense and irregular verbs. Write in a notebook. Make sentences and repeat.
64. Don’t use unnecessary language when it does not match the situation. Focus on your motive. Stick to it.
65. Jot down strong and weak points about learning. Work upon them. Don’t leave until you improve.
66. Don’t get tense; people learn from their mistakes. Just go with the flow.
67. Never get distracted while doing a lesson. Remove all the unnecessary distractions. Turn off social media notifications.
68. Listen exceptionally carefully to the language in Dictaphone. Grasp a firm hold. Hear and repeat.
69. Travel to outside places where you have to speak English. Surround yourself with English speaking people or groups.
70. Enjoy the learning process. Find interesting learning applications or tools.
71. Analyze high-quality writing. Try to understand on your own. Take the help of someone.
72. Go through reputed websites and portals to know how they write. Read English news, articles, short stories on the web.
73. Enroll yourself in online education. Take advantage of many free English classes available online.
74. Learn the tricks of identifying lousy writing. Keep in mind. Write mistakes also.
75. Critically analyze the writing you like most. Enjoy the editing part.
76. Regularly watch cartoon films. Focus on their conversation with each other.
77. Give a strong reason to speak fluently. It will keep you motivated.
78. Read relevant articles only. Don’t indulge yourself in too many learning tools or projects.
79. Never feel pressured. Learning is fun. Be cool. Don’t be so severe.
80. Keep notes in hand. Make a list of new words with meaning. Put it on the backside of the mobile cover. Look often and repeat.
81. Practice grammar puzzles that appear in newspapers. Solve it with friends. Give your pat back if you win.
82. Don’t focus on speed. Take time to learn. Believe in yourself.
83. Use the English version of Search Engines. Google, Yahoo, or MSN are the right way to practice at a fast speed. Understand how a foreigner writes there.
84. Read the English translation. Choose a book that you’ve already read in your language.
85. Learn through dialogues. Buy a novel that has many discussions. Understand how they respond. Mark punctuation as well.
86. Teach kids or someone less knowledgeable in English. It improves you at a good pace.
87. Listen to English radio while doing housework or driving. No need to be super attentive. Feel the natural rhythm.
88. Watch English movies of your interest with English subtitles. Observe the actions of people on the screen. Watch over and over again.
89. Never go beyond your learning level. Be realistic. Check your status with a free trial level test or taking an English language test TOEFL etc.
90. Record words in your voice. Listen and record again until you correct the pronunciation.
91. Learn by drawing pictures of words to improve the vocabulary. Photos are the best way to memorize things rather than texts or sentences.
92. Download English speaking dictionary. Paper dictionaries are useful, but digital dictionaries are comfortable and better for finding words instantly. It will be your pronunciation mentor.
93. Play English games. Grammar Smash, English quiz, Sentence masters, IELTS vocabulary are few examples. Download from play store.
94. Talk regularly. Speak as much as you can—Mix English words with your native language. Don’t bother about the opinion of the other person.
95. Visit English speaking cities or countries. Observe their culture, food, or customs. Remember, they will not judge your Grammar.
96. Get a job. Conversation on the job in English will bring fast improvement.
97. Talk on the phone. Find an English speaking phone partner. Spend at least 15 minutes daily to share your day in English with him/her.
98. Visualize yourself speaking fluently in public. Visualization has power. Use it and notice the changes.
99. Subscribe to English newsletters of favorite magazines, comics, or story firms. Read emails received daily you’ll get on your mail.
100. Study food menus. Read and speak. Place your food order in English.
- None Found