If you are looking at all the incredibly talented web designers out there, you have to remember one thing; it did not happen overnight.
All the expert web designers have to start from scratch, and with practice and hard work, it is achievable. Now web design refers to the website’s user experience aspect without getting much into the software aspect of it.
How To Improve Your Web Design Skills
1. Use a Sandbox where you can practice your mock designs. Having a safe space to practice your strategies without the fear of breaking or spoiling it is very important in order to build the base of your web designing skills.
Creating a Sandbox is really easy by following any guide available on the internet. Here it won’t be an issue if you make mistakes while trying out new designs, and you can express your creative self without any hesitation.
2. Give importance to book learning. While it is a lot more fun to learn from the real world and practice the skill-based on practical knowledge, some things are best understood when read from a book. So you should follow several books to gain a piece of thorough knowledge about web designing, which you can actually put into use in the real world.
3. Pay attention to the world around you. Many times nature and the world around you can be a great inspiration. Hence it would help if you always looked for inspiration in your surroundings as you will get a lot of knowledge from the world.
4. Try to get feedback and give feedback from other web designers. It might be someone you look up to or a budding web designer getting feedback about your work will help you rectify your mistakes, learn from them, and also boost your confidence when they appreciate your work. Similarly, giving feedback will help you understand your skills better and also help them to improve.
5. Take part in competitions. You might not always win, but taking part in web designing competitions will keep you informed about where you stand in the web designers’ world, and you’ll thrive on getting better and better. If you win, it will only boost your self-confidence and will keep you motivated for going on.
6. Set a realistic goal and work hard to achieve it. Setting a plan will help you keep motivated, and also achieving the goal will boost your confidence and interest in designing better. You will thrive for perfection, which will improve your skills to a great extent.
7. Be consistent and practice every day. Being consistent is very important in any skill you want to perfect. Instead of practicing a lot on one day and then taking rest for the rest of the week, you should set aside some amount of time every day to practice your skills. This will not only keep you in touch, but eventually, you will learn better. So keep practicing every day on your sandbox.
8. Keep up with the trends. Keeping up with the trends and seasons nowadays is quite important because not only will it keep you up-to-date, but it also will improve your skills and keep you relevant as trends positively drive web designing.
9. Watch videos to improve your skills and learn new ones. There is a lot of video material available on online platforms like YouTube. Follow these sources to learn new skills and to keep developing your knowledge to be on par with the fast-developing technologies.
10. Take courses from various sources, be it online or offline, to learn web designing from talented individuals working in this field for an extended period. This will help your skillset and help you build a cordial relationship with these talented individuals who can help you land jobs and internships.
11. Test your designs. Perform usability tests on your web designs as these provide valuable insights on your plans and whether they are convenient to use in the practical world, which is the aim of it all. After all, it is the user that should be satisfied with your designs, and hence testing is essential for the proper functioning of your plans.
12. Learn a new skill every month. In order to be relevant, you need to keep learning as the technologies keep developing, and hence you and your designs need to build accordingly. Therefore make it a point to learn a new set of skills every month, and this will help you, in the long run, to efficiently create astonishing web designs.
13. Practice your designs on paper as well. It might be efficient to practice web designing on the computer, but relying on computers too much is not helpful. You need to practice your designs on paper or whiteboard to plan your strategies, and when you know exactly what you want, you can start designing on the computer.
14. Take rest and pause. It is essential to be consistent and practice every day to improve your craft, but sometimes you need to take some time off to give your mind much needed rest to come up with fresh ideas that are very important in this field.
15. Explore open-source projects and learn from them. There are open-source projects available like the Git-hub, which you can explore and learn from them. Analyzing these projects critically will help you improve your skillset and provide you with new information about the field.
16. Use grey shades initially, then add color. Using grey shades while designing your website will help you prevent the overcrowding of designs and colors and help emphasize the parts that need to stand out. You can add the desired color later, one at a time.
17. Focus on SEO. Search Engine Optimization, which is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of website trafficking through results of organic search engines. This can be done with specific keywords, and hence your website name will be displayed on the top, and it’ll be fetched more.
18. Never stop testing. Your website may be close to other’s designs as well, and for you to stand out as the best option amongst all, you need to keep testing the defaults and upgrades available. Keeping it updated and making new features available will definitely help.
19. Find and fix 404s. You can find the 404s that search engine spiders encounter by logging into their respective Webmaster Tools programs. There are even some tricks that’ll help you and make your job easier for a while like, the simplest and easiest way to fix your 404 error code is to redirect the page to another one. You can perform this task using a 301 redirect.
20. Create new or unique offerings. Whatever you do, you must be doing something more than your competitors. You can find templates that are currently not available and can identify and promote them. It’s essential to not only pay attention to what offers and resources are out there within your service area but what isn’t too. This will make you best recommend.
21. Don’t be afraid of white space. White space is an essential and inevitable part of web designing that ultimately helps you to break the page and increase readability. They are also referred to as negative space, but unlike their name, they help us. Also, much of white space will be suspected by the readers as default or lack of resources. This should be taken care of accordingly by the designers and developers.
22. Calls-to-action implementation. Once the visitors reach the site, there should be some guidelines to guide them through your website. Calls-to-action is one of the many elements that indicate the next step user should take on the page. For example, download our menu. Click below for more information. These also include marketing and pricing of the things you’re providing etc.
23. Optimisation for Mobile. There is one thing because around 80% of the people own a smartphone and prefer to browse over there. If they face any trouble accessing your site, then their phones might block or warn the user not to visit that site again, which is ultimately a loss. Try to ask yourself why someone wants to go through your page, what things are they looking for.
24. Updated content to appeal to your persona when you’re doing something, like including some texts to your page note that you also intend to impress your website visitors. Like for example, using words like ‘we,’ ‘ours’ will make them a sense of the fact that you’re a more self-caring site rather than focusing on their interests. Instead, you can use words like ‘you’ and ‘yours.’ This will attract more visitors and recommendations as well.
- None Found
Marketing | Branding | Blogging. These Three Words Describe Me in The Best Way. I Am a Self-Taught Marketer with 10 Years of Experience. Helping Startups/ It Companies/ and Small Businesses to Enhance Their Business Through Branding and Marketing Ideas. On A Mission to Help Small Businesses to Be a Brand.